Re: [linux-audio-user] linux/ xbox/ audio??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] linux/ xbox/ audio??
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 14:35:04 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 02:31:42 +0100, matthew yee-king wrote:
>
>>It occurred to me that these boxes might make nifty little DAWs. They
>>look quite rugged and you could fit one in your bag. There isn't any
>

> Only if you have a big bag!
>

>>no specifics on audio there either... anyone know any more?
>

> [All IIRC] its hardware mixed (not that that matters for proaudio), and
> it has some envronmental audio features. It may have hardware assist AC3
> encoding too. The audio out is locked to 48k.
>
> The biggest problem would be the HD, which has a very slow IDE interface.
>
> IMHO, the PS2 is a better target. Sony support linux on it, it has decent
> DSP chips, a faster HD and real USB and firewire ports. Plus its smaller.

Also M$ has started shipping new chips on this [ugly, bloated, looks
like a 486 with a black case] thing and they are causing problems for
the Linux code developers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem