Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: mike rawes (mike_rawes_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 13:33:37 EEST

 --- Dave Griffiths <dave_AT_pawfal.org> wrote: > > >
FWIW: In SSM the whole frequency range maps from
> -1 to 1 - so an un amplified
> > > oscillator modulating another oscillator sweeps
> the entire range.
> >
> > Yes, this is the problem, the CV value is linear
> with frequency, not
> > pitch (octaves). You define 0.0 to be a particular
> low frequency (say A0)
> > and then every +1.0 over that doubles the
> freqency, 1.0=A1, 2.0=A2 etc.
>
> I guess a couple of plugins to convert between
> linear and exponential would do the trick?
> I'd like to get a load of simple arithmetic plugins
> done actually so we could do more mathsy stuff like
> that. Combined with sub-patches it would be quite
> powerful (in a PD kind of way).

My BLOP plugins include a frequency modulator/shifter
that takes a frequency value and a modulating signal,
outputting the frequency modulated by +/- 1 octave per
+/- "voltage" in the signal:

output = freq * powf(2.0f, signal);

Works fine for LFO type things, as well as making
direct control of stuff like cutoff sound more
natural.

There's also simple add and product plugins for more
basic stuff.

-
Myk