[linux-audio-user] How do you make an ogg?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] How do you make an ogg?
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad_AT_laymusic.org)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 16:44:28 EEST

A technical but mostly non-linux friend was asking me about where Ogg
Vorbis is relative to MP3's, given the current status of MP3 encoding
software.

I did a quick test of making an ogg from a wav, and my naive version
produced:

[lconrad_AT_tuba renfaire]$ ls -l hercules*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lconrad lconrad 4526080 Aug 18 14:14 hercules2.mp3
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lconrad lconrad 12220015 Sep 3 12:30 hercules2.ogg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lconrad lconrad 49956104 Aug 18 14:09 hercules2.wav

I used ecasound to do the encoding, but what my ecasoundrc says it did
is:

ext-ogg-output-cmd = oggenc --raw -o %f

oggenc is:

[lconrad_AT_tuba renfaire]$ oggenc -v
OggEnc v0.8 (libvorbis rc2)

So my question is, is there a way to get the ogg file down closer to
the size of the mp3 file?

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad_AT_laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574