Re: [linux-audio-user] latency questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] latency questions
From: D R Holsbeck (drh_AT_niptron.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 05:24:56 EEST

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 17:48, G. M. Bodnar wrote:
> I was running through the low-latency howto and I ran into a couple
> things that seem to be hindering process.
>
> First off, I'll mention that I'm using a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop.
> I'm running debian unstable with 2.4.19.

I a,m running the same setup on an IBM A31 Thinkpad, and do not have
problems with latencies. Even while running 24chs in Ardour, using a an
RME H-DSP interface. So I would venture that your problem has more to do
with Dell than Linux.

> 1) DMA transer won't enable. I've enabled DMA transfers in the kernel
> as suggested by the howto. However, I'm unable to turn on dma access
> with hdparm. I'm told the operation is not permitted.

More evidence that it is a hardware issue. Or hardeware/software
incompatibiliy to be more politicly correct.

> 2) IRQ mess. dmesg lists that almost every device that is detected is
> on irq 10, including the onboard sound (i8x0) and video card (nVidia).
> As a result, in X, I get static and pops as the audio is delayed.
> Searching further, I noticed a message saying the APIC wasn't being used
> due to a buggy bios provided by Dell. This could explain why everything
> is pushed to IRQ 10.

All my devices end up on 11, but APIC takes care of things nicely.

--
drh_AT_niptron.com

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- Albert Einstein

They laughed at Einstein. They laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. -- Carl Sagan