[linux-audio-user] cant record sounds...

Subject: [linux-audio-user] cant record sounds...
From: Christoph Rupp (chr1701_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 18:20:43 EET

Hi,

i guess it's just a small thing but i don't find a
solution. I try to record sound using sox/rec or gnome
record (grecord) but all i get is noise; sometimes i
can recognize the melody (i have attached a portable
CD player to line-in), but most of it is just noise.

The volume of line-in is set to 90, recording of
line-in is switched on, and i can hear the sound of
the CD player when line-in is not set to 'mute' (it's
played in good quality, without noise). I have tried
all different settings in grecord but it doesn't get
better.

What else can i do??

I have a VIA 686 on-board sound chip, no ALSA drivers,
just OSS (as far as i know...). Linux 2.4.10 (SuSE
7.3).

Thanks a lot...
Chris

=====