Re: [linux-audio-user] (REQ:) Linux live encoding

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] (REQ:) Linux live encoding
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 16:44:25 EET

m wrote:

> please do keep us informed of how things turn out - i would be
> particularly interested as i'm planning, together with Jack Woehr and
> others, to start a Free Music foundation along similiar lines to the
> FSF, but promoting copyleft licensing in music... there are many people
> working on Open and Free licenses for music, but so far no umbrella
> organisation to keep everyone in touch - my feeling, as i work on my
> book 'copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom' (see
> www.copyleftmedia.org.uk) is that we need a whole new Free
> infrastructure if we are going to succeed in our goal - not just
> composers releasing Free music but webcasters, producers, record
> companies.... and of course software developers :)

This is an interesting concept. But after thinking about it for a few
days I wonder how easy it would be to get the numerous organisations
that represent open multimedia to get on board? It seems that it is a
ver difficult task to get them all motivated. I would guess there would
be more liklihood of getting one of the larger organisations to take on
the role and use their leverage to get others involved.

In other words I think there may more more chance to get it done from
the inside than starting YAOMF (Yet another open music foundation).

What are your ideas on this?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem