Re: [linux-audio-user] (REQ:) Linux live encoding

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] (REQ:) Linux live encoding
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 17:59:36 EET

iriXx wrote:

> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> This is an interesting concept. But after thinking about it for a few
>> days I wonder how easy it would be to get the numerous organisations
>> that represent open multimedia to get on board? It seems that it is a
>> ver difficult task to get them all motivated. I would guess there
>> would be more liklihood of getting one of the larger organisations to
>> take on the role and use their leverage to get others involved.
>>
>> In other words I think there may more more chance to get it done from
>> the inside than starting YAOMF (Yet another open music foundation).
>>
>> What are your ideas on this?
>

> well,
> a) the idea is for an umbrella organisation, to embrace *all* the Free
> and Open multimedia movements...
>
> b) im working with GNU at the moment... my book is published by them....
> Jack, who originally proposed the idea, was given my address by RMS..

Ok. Knowing these two things gives me a much broader understanding of
where your coming from. You are already on the inside :)

What are GNU/FSF intending to provide support wise for this?

I would really like to see an organisation that represents Linux Audio
and what you are proposing could be the correct way to do it. I'm not
suggesting that this organisation would represent Linux Audio solely but
that it could help us a lot.

Do you have anythign written up specifically on this? I couldn't find it
after browsing your site.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem