Re: [linux-audio-user] building the dream Linux music box

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] building the dream Linux music box
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 18:15:04 EET

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 11:35:37PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>You will
>>need to get at least one condenser mic as well. They are the best for
>>recording.
>

> Now Patrick, you should know you can't make blanket statements
> like that where audio is concerned :-p
>
> It depends a lot on *what* you're recording, and on the mic
> in question. There is certainly no shortage of bad condenser mics
> on the market. I'd take a good dynamic mic (Sennheiser MD-421
> or 441, EV RE-20, Shure SM-7 to name a few) over crap
> (but common) condensers like the AKG CS-1000 any day.
> There are many applications where dynamic mics are still
> the mic of choice (notably close-miking drums and
> amplifiers, but also sometimes rock vocals).
> Remember Michael Jackson's "Thriller"? One of the
> biggest-selling records ever? They could have
> used any microphone in the world for lead vocals, and
> they chose a Shure SM-7. Whatever you think of the music,
> there's no denying that it's a top-notch pop vocal recording.
>
> And let's not forget ribbon mics.
> I would *love* to be able to afford a Royer, but even
> a Beyer M-500 or something would be nice to have
> and would do pretty well on just about any source
> except really really quiet stuff.

This is all true. But I would say if you have a choice between one of
any type of mic a good condenser is the best option. Unless you don't
have phantom power capabilites, then, you should go with dynamic and the
Shure range offer extremely good price/performance. No doubt about that.

Saying that though I use Shure copies. They claim to be exact replicas.
So far they have lived up to all expectations.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem