[linux-audio-user] RE: [Ardour-users] Re: [Alsa-devel] usb audio sound quality

Subject: [linux-audio-user] RE: [Ardour-users] Re: [Alsa-devel] usb audio sound quality
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 00:24:42 EET

Patrick,
   I found your write up interesting. For the most part I agree with your
conclusions. I don't think fluxbox 'sounds better' than Gnome, but more just
that very few things are running so there is likely to be fewer conflicts.

   On the other hand, I wonder what part your USB sound card contributes to
this problem simply because it's USB? USB transfers are pretty small. This
causes the system to require more packets and packet headers to get the same
amount of data moved. I wonder if the USB portion of Linux could be
contributing to this problem? It may be that those of us using PCI based
audio cards don't suffer this problem at all. I certainly haven't noticed
any of the things your are talking about.

   Anyway, very interesting stuff.

With best regards,
Mark