Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Ardour-users] Re: [Alsa-devel] usb audio sound quality

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Ardour-users] Re: [Alsa-devel] usb audio sound quality
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 01:33:03 EET

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 07:17:24AM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>Jesse Chappell wrote:
>>
>>>I guess my real question is: exactly what is happening to the sound
>>>(in your qualitative estimation) when it is degraded?
>>>

>>Cleeecks and pawps :)
>

> That sounds like the video card hogging the system somehow.
> Have you played with the video card settings?
> On a matrox g400 I got bad results until I disabled DRI.

Hmm. A preliminary listen after disabling the nvidia AGP driver to use
the kernel AGP driver and changing the amount of RAM dedicated to the
video card from 64 to 32 MB has presented better results so far.

I will have to do some more testing. There are still a few scratchy pops
and the distortion is sometimes audible. Next is testing with some more
heavy duty apps then alsaplayer as it could be the mp3's I'm listening
to that are not encoded very cleanly.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman