Re: [linux-audio-user] [ot] ATA drives.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ot] ATA drives.
From: Mike Rawes (mike_rawes_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 10:51:46 EET

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:51:34 -0500
Michal Seta <mis_AT_creazone.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> sorry for this potentially OT post but since I just fried my mac,
> I was wondering if any of you know if it is ok to put ATA drive on
> an IDE chain (I have access to a PC now...). It'd be nice to
> recycle my HD at least...

Should be OK. ATA is (pretty much) the same thing as IDE. IDE allows
only two devices per channel (chain). You might want to check that
the DMA speed is the same as the other drive in the chain (usually
33, 66 or 100 MHz). Both drives will run at the slowest speed. If you
have a spare channel (most PCs have two) you could put it on this.

-
Myk