[linux-audio-user] Migration from OSS Pro to ALSA

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Migration from OSS Pro to ALSA
From: Robert Brown (sbg_AT_twcny.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 05:57:28 EET

Hi,

I am building a new box for audio (Gentoo Linux) and have decided to use ALSA instead of OSS pro which I have always used. Having never used ALSA I was woundering if anyone can offer tips or highlight the main differences.

My main soundcard is a M-Audio Delta Dio 2496 (ice1712) and my secondary card is the onboard CMedia 8738. Since Gentoo Linux uses devfs, one concern I have is how to know what device names the input/outputs will have. I have read through a some docs on ALSA and also the ALSA guide on Gentoo.org and they do not appear to address this issue as they are geared for consumer cards it seems.

I use the M-Audio often to make DAT > PC (via SPFIF) transfers. With OSS Pro I can just "cat /dev/soundstat" to retrive info about what each device name in /dev actually is. Also, if I understand right, ALSA uses /dev/audio* as well as /dev/dsp* ?

I am a bit confused about the envy24control setup as well as how to "unlock" the sample rate for the pro card.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions on making the switch or anything that may be helpful.

--
Robert Brown