Re: [linux-audio-user] clicks and pops

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] clicks and pops
From: Anthony (avan_AT_uwm.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 07:02:54 EET

* Brian Redfern <bredfern_AT_calarts.edu> [Nov 19 02 22:57]:
> Yeah, more and more I think the real culprit is Redhat 8.0, I was using
> 7.3 and had both my systems set for low latency with the 2.4.19 kernel, I
> think its the ol' blue curve, it could possibly be the cd, but the
> frequncy of over runs I'm getting is really bad, like one every two
> seconds. I don't think I'm going to bother running any tests, I just need
> to first off try a different window manager, and then if my over runs are
> still bad under fluxbox, then I'll at least know its not gnome. But then
> if I stop having xruns I don't have to do that work to be back in
> shape. I'm just glad its not an issue of needing to upgrade my
> motherboard.

OTOH I don't agree here I either. I have run enlightement/gnome on
this platform with decent success (BTW its a 600 MHz Celeron). The
only reason I run fluxbox is because I like it. CD polling *is* a real
killer, but if the xruns are frequent I would look at hardware
settings. Did you do the whole IRQ thing Mark Knecht commented on? It
made a huge difference when I got my card down to IRQ 5. Are you sure
LL is enabled? Are your disk tuned. Maybe you've heard all that
before. Anyway, good luck.

Are there any low-latency checklists out there?

--ant