Re: [linux-audio-user] Big professional tiMIDIty patchset.. Any interrest ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Big professional tiMIDIty patchset.. Any interrest ?
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 18:40:09 EET

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 08:12:54AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> My first question for you is: How would your set improve upon the
> available Midia PAT set or the Fluid SF2 soundfonts ? Can you give some
> technical details (i.e., how they've been recorded, layered, etc.) ?

Well, I've used Fluid for a good number of months and I think it has
its shortcomings. I'd welcome another options - especially if the
company would allow a lower-quality trial version for download, and
offer the full quality patches for $15!

I mean hey, if I can try it out, and it only costs $15, it sounds like a
great idea to me.

> > Basically my questions are:
> > - If you are a MIDI enthusiast of any form are you interrested in such a
> > product if it truly stands out. With interrested I mean, would you be
> > willing to buy it it would be developed ?

Absolutely! Especially if I could actually play with a trial version
like suggested. Since your suggested price is so reasonable, it would
almost be silly not to buy the high quality release.

> > - If you are a MIDI enthusiast but are not willing to pay for a product like
> > this, do you think others would be.
>
> Hard to say. Commercial Linux audio software has not fared well so far,
> but that's due to a rather complicated set of circumstances.

I think a MIDI patch set is different than software. With software, I
generally find one option that suits my needs really well and use it
100% of the time.

Very few musicians work that way though - it's always better to have
more options available to you, for a wider selection of sounds.

> > - What do you dislike or like about current tiMIDIty patchsets ?
>
> Fluid seems better prepared, but I haven't explored the set as fully as
> the Midia PATs.

I've never used Midia, but have used Fluid quite a bit. The version I
have is a tad old, so maybe it's gotten better, but it's frustratingly
incomplete. Some of the patches sound pretty good, some not.

> Seriously, thank you for your concern re: etiquette. I hope the feedback
> is positive enough for your company to pursue this venture.

Me too - I'm quite excited now!

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon. He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.