[linux-audio-user] LADSPA plugins - warm sound quality

Subject: [linux-audio-user] LADSPA plugins - warm sound quality
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 10:55:35 EET

----
From: Steve Harris <S_AT_ec...>
Re: experiences and reflections from the UK part II
2002-08-13 10:22

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 12:15:37 -0400, Paul Davis wrote: > my brother commented that the swt plugins sounded very "digital" to > him. i bluffed by saying that i think it all comes down to the

This is very true.

Its partly a matter of taste - I like the hard digital filter sound, I think it makes a pleasant change from analogue filters warmth.

In addition I'm a modular synthesist at heart, so if it annoyed me I would just bung a lowpass->valve sim->lowpass on the end (this is what most VST plugins will do).

I think I tend to use, and think of LADSPA plugins at a lower level than most people. This became obvious at linuxtag.

But, mostly, making plugins sound warm requires more work, and no-one has requested it (up til now). ---------

Steve, since you wrote this I have been doing a lot more work with the ladpsa plugins and I tend to agree that the default sounds of a lot of them are very hard.

Can you elaborate more on how and why you use "lowpass->valve sim->lowpass on the end" to create a more warm sound?

Thanks. BTW. I think it would be a very good addition for the LAU FAQ so I'll add this as it comes to light.

-- Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd. For the discerning hardware connoisseur http://www.boosthardware.com http://www.djcj.org - The Linux Audio Users guide ========================================

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman