[linux-audio-user] Re: LADSPA plugins - warm sound quality

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: LADSPA plugins - warm sound quality
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 15:12:35 EET

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 05:55:35PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Can you elaborate more on how and why you use "lowpass->valve
> sim->lowpass on the end" to create a more warm sound?
>
> Thanks. BTW. I think it would be a very good addition for the LAU FAQ so
> I'll add this as it comes to light.

Well, the why is easy.

The fisrt lowpass pages away some of hte higher harmonics, his most make
it sound smoother and makes the next step sound OK. The valve sim adds in
some harmonics of the lower frequencies and the final lowpass smooths out
some of the highs from the valve.

Although... I'm now coming round the the point of view that I should just
produce more self contained plugins, but I need inforamtion on what
plugins you think need softening, so any feedback is welcome.

Unfortunatly its not physically possible for me to review every plugin -
especially as I'm very busy at the moment. I'l try to get a new release out
today, it has some fixes to the chorus and an id numberering issue, but I
need to fix a bug in the oscillator first.

- Steve