Re: [linux-audio-user] Any MIDI apps that don't suck?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Any MIDI apps that don't suck?
From: Linium (intent_AT_club-internet.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 17:37:43 EET

Le Mardi 3 Décembre 2002 09:27, vous avez écrit :

> > long time I refused to give either MusE or Brahms any serious
> > consideration because I couldn't get either of them to start up
> > cleanly and make sounds without a significant amount of work.)
>
> Brahms wouldn't even pretend to compile the last time I looked at it, and
> MusE... Well, the one with my distro appears to be broken, and the CVS
> requires so many updates that it would be most practical to do a distro
> upgrade before even attempting to compile it. Jazz++ looks sort of

For MusE you don't need the CVS. MusE seems difficult to install but is not
much..
It is in fact straightforward now since there is a configure script.
Well may be it will ask for some tools or libs to be upgraded, but i don't
remember such a thing or having troubles on my Mdk8.2
The most annoyant part is the QT3 library. MusE will need libqt-mt.so.3
and may be you don't have it on your system by default.
So it forces you to recompile the qt3 yourself even if you have it :(
It will takes hours to compile, yuck.
After that big task, you have to declare some QT3_PATH in your /etc/profile,
then MusE should compile without a hassle. (even with gcc2.96).

Again MusE takes 1 hour to compile on a 800 mhz.

The pre4 had a weird bug preventing any usage, 3 days latter the pre5 is out.
It compiles fine and seems to work ok. I will report if there are any problem.

Linium