Re: [linux-audio-user] SoundDiver Clone?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SoundDiver Clone?
From: Aidan Mark Humphreys (ahumphr_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 13:31:24 EET

Mark Knecht wrote

>Have you tried running Sound Diver under Wine? It's on my to do
>list.

Hi Mark,

No I haven't tried it under Wine, for this reason...

SD needs to authorise itself against the CD periodically.
Precisely what it does during this procedure is anyone's guess.
All I know is that it takes around 3 minutes on my W98 PC. The
machine frezes druing the authorisation and some very very
scary noises come form the HD and CDROM drive.

I remember in the 80s there were once some odd copy protection
schemes that stored key data in illegal sectors on the HD. The
odd behaviour during authorisation make me think of that. I
suspect the chances of authorisation working on a foreign file
system, under an emulator are about 0. I have visions of it
cutting a hole in my HD if I tried it under Linux.

>Have you tried running Sound Diver under Wine? It's on my to do
>list

You are a brave man than I. Let me know how you get on.

A.