[linux-audio-user] Re: Audio Help...

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Audio Help...
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 06:59:54 EET

I have forwareded this on to LAU also.

 From reading your description (nicely worded too, have you considered
writing docs?) It seems like you are mising something either very simple
when trying to record from JACKed apps or your driver is not working
correctly.

Have you tried doing the basic arecord test?

Set the capture channel with alsamixer then

arecord -f cd -D hw:0,0 -d 10 somefile.wav

This should record a cd quality stereo track from the first channel on
your first sound device.

If that doesn't work then none of the other apps could be expected to
either. Personally I still use arecord for recording and edit with other
apps once I have file to work with.

Ryan Beisner (home) wrote:
> Hi Patrick
>
> I'm just having a heck of a time getting all my things in order here.
> Any help you can provide would really be appreciated. Here's what I
> have:
>
> System:
> Redhat 8 / Kernel 2.4.19-1.ll
> PIII 800 / 512MB RAM / 60GB
> SBLive Value PCI
>
>>From CCRMA:
> Kernel 2.4.19-1.ll
> alsa (alsaplayer alsamixer amixer etc)
> jack
> ecasound (and ecawave)
> audacity
> rosegarden
> muse
> meterbridge
> qjackconnect
>
> I have followed the jack and ecasound documents, and successfully set up
> a scenario like this to test:
> alsaplayer -o jack -> meterbridge -> alsa pcm out
> ... and it works. = )
>
> (these are not the exact commands issued)
>
> I have also done this:
> ecasound -i:somewave -o jack -> and that works too.
>
> I've come to the conclusion that all these audio apps should be run as
> root in order for them to play together ... so that's what I do. I
> realize they could be suid etc.
>

> My problem is: I CANT RECORD = (
>
> In alsamixer, with the Line set to CAPTURE, I set up the following:
>
> ecasound -i:jack -o:somewave -> it launches without error, and records
> to a wav file. qJackconnect reflects the proper routing connections.
>
> But the wav is dead air... silence for as long as I record.
>
> OK so I thought I might have missed something with the whole jack setup
> so I kill jack and try it with ARecord then again with Audacity. Same
> story. Silence.
>

> ---DUAL CAPTURE REQUIRED? Weird.
> OK now I notice a "capture" item in alsamixer. So I simultaneously
> hilight LINE and CAPTURE to do capturing. With the LINE muted, audio is
> still monitored (it shouldn't be) unless I de-select the CAPTURE item
> from capturing, but then it won't record. Hope that made sense.
>
> So I give it a go... ignoring the "I can't mute it" problem. arecord
> still silent, same with the jack setup. But now Audacity records ...
> and it's garbled (sounds like playing a 32bit file at 16bit or
> something, plus it's not a fluid recording). And I see that when you
> record in Audacity, it forces 32-bit float for the format. I think
> maybe if I could convince Audacity to operate strictly in 16-bit, it
> might work.

This may have already been fixed in cvs. I recall something similar
being discussed recently.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman