Re: [linux-audio-user] ISO images from Audio CD's?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ISO images from Audio CD's?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 14:06:57 EET

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 04:53:26 -0700, Dave Price wrote:
> I am familiar with mkisofs for sets of data files and mounting the
> iso-9660 images as loop(ed) devices to access the files within the
> resulting image file.

ISO9660 is a layer above the audio data (its encoded in it) to get an
extra level of error correction.

> Are these files interchangeable? How would one mount an Audio 'image
> file' to play it, since you usually do not mount Audio CD's - players
> like xmms just use the raw device (right?)

Players either use cdparanoia (libparanoia) or just instruct the cd driver
to play directly.

If you just want wav files use cdparanoia, if you definatly want a FS there
is/was a VFS for linux that makes CDs appear as a direcotry full of WAVs
but I cant remeber the name of it, sorry.

If you want to bulk duplicate CDs there is a combination of cdparanoia
and cdrdao that can do this IIRC. I did it a few years ago for gig CDs.

- Steve