RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ?
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 21:26:15 EET

The only thing we don't have is this painting concept. I agree that
could be a useful addition ;)

[MWK] To be an Acid 2.0 interface I think you're about right. Even Acid 2.0
was very powerful in this respect.

I don't understand from your description how you choose the sample which
will be painted in. Is it automatic based on the location in the strip
or do you have to pick it from a list before you start brushing and it
will be rendered (from the start of the sample ??) wherever you choose?

[MWK] No, as I said before, each 'track' in Acid will paint only ONE wave
file. When you create a 'track', you chose a single wave file, and that's
the only file that this track will paint.

Since Acid supports (in theory) unlimited tracks, you can choose additional
wave files and paint them in their own tracks.

I think the programming logic of each track is almost trivial. It holds a
pointer to only this single wave file, and a time to start and stop playing
it. You can paint multiple copies of the same wave file in the track, but
only one copy can exist at any point. (I.e. - there is no wave mixing or
muxing inside the track itself. That all happens outside in some mixer.

There are other edit features in the track, but let's get a Linux app that
does this much first.

Let me know if this needs more clarification.[/MWK]

>No matter what we use we still have to get the right start and end for
>the sample. How does ACID make that any easier?

[MWK]An 'Acidized sample' is a wave file that is already trimmed for the
right stop/start points and it a specific tempo.

Acid has features for taking a longer wave file and extracting out Acidized
samples, but we don't need that for the short term as there are hundreds of
existing libraries that already have this. An Acid user typically doesn't
want to get that dirty when they first use the program. They just want to
take their samples and put the songs together quickly. Later they will use
these features to build their own sample libraries, but the power of the
Sound Forge marketing strategy is that you don't have to. They sell the
libraries and make lots of money that way.[/MWK]