RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ? - Pitch shift

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ? - Pitch shift
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 21:12:13 EET

Just some ideas for you...

Actually, the pitch modification part is handled quite nicely here in
Linuxland by freqtweak. However, to date freqtweak is pretty static in terms
of how it manipulates frequency over time.

Acid has the ability to shift samples by known amounts, so that if I have a
bass line in C, I can shift it up a major 4th to F and it will fit into the
sound quite easily. This function in Acid works pretty well over a limited
range, say +/- a major 6th, but starts to fall apart pretty badly at an
octave, in my experience. (It depends a lot on the library.)

Until this morning I hadn't considered using freqtweak to accomplish the
same thing. Today I would have to take an input wave file for the base line,
then shift it appropriately and write it back to disk as a separate wave
file, using more disk space and creating more problems at the app level
dealing with yet another wave file to be read and played back.

Maybe a future development might be freqtweak itself, but:

1) Modified to be a ladspa plugin

2) Modified to have some built in mechanism to step the frequencies up and
down by known amounts

3) Having a way to call those frequency changes through an API

Some sort of feature set in this general space would go a long way towards
accomplishing what you can do today with pitch manipulation in Acid.

Just some ideas for you...