[linux-audio-user] jack+timidity+muse

Subject: [linux-audio-user] jack+timidity+muse
From: luis jure (luisjure_AT_multitel.com.uy)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 02:51:56 EET

hello friends,

i have successfully built timidity (2.12.0), then jack (0.34.0), and
finally muse --with-jack (0.6.0pre5).

timidity works by itself, i can play midi files and it sounds. my intention
is to use it as a software synthesizer for muse, so i launch it with the
option -iA.

but muse also requires jack to be running, so first i invoke jack like
this:

jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0

and then i can run muse. the problem is that as soon as i have jack running
timidity doesn't sound.

all right, the real problem is that i never got to fully understand jack,
so i have no idea how it works or how i can make things work together. as
soon as i begin more confused than before so i give up.

any charitable soul could give me a quick hint on how i should invoke
timidity and/or jack so that i can use the combination of the two as a
software midi device for muse? (i used to use it like this in the past, but
that was without jack coming into play)

thanks for any help.

best,

lj