Re: [linux-audio-user] question about off-topic email

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] question about off-topic email
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 19:19:07 EET

Peter Jay Salzman <p_AT_dirac.org> writes:

> if this list wants to be totally on-topic (which is understandable), can
> someone recommend a flame-free mailing list for people who want to ask
> questions about jazz theory?

Your questions would be on-topic for the rec.music.makers.jazz
newsgroup. I don't know if there's a mailing list that mirrors it.
Try google to check. Otherwise, you'll need to access it via some
kind of news software, rather than e-mail. I use gnus for both.
(Note: token Linux content.) :-)

I wouldn't exactly call it "flame-free", but rec.music.makers.jazz is
generally pretty civil. There are some smart people there who know a
*lot* about jazz theory and practice. You could get some serious
answers to your questions. You'll also find pointers to web sites
with instructional jazz material.

The Internet has lists and news groups for *every* kind of question.
It's always better to find the right one and avoid Off-Topic
discussions. Why send a message to hundreds or thousands of people
who don't know or care about what you're asking?

Regards,

--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA