Re: [linux-audio-user] usb audio still foobar :-(

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] usb audio still foobar :-(
From: kevin ernste (kevinernste_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 04:05:41 EET

> this is a fresh install of alsa 0.9.rc5 under
> mandrake 9.0 - it was
> running fine under mandrake 8.2, all i've done is
> upgrade to mdk 9.0 and
> recompile & reinstall...
>
> any ideas?... i'm kinda stuck now, i've done
> everything right,

Mandrake 9.0 has it's own ALSA preinstalled (0.9rc2, I
believe). Perhaps you created conflicts between the
old and new installations/modules.

In general, getting ALSA to work in Mandrake 9 only
requires editing modules.conf (often this is setup
automatically as well). I also recommend installing
alsa development libs and of course the utils:

urpmi libalsa-devel
...which installs
libalsa2-devel-0.9.0-0.8rc2mdk.i586.rpm
AND
urpmi alsa-utils
...which installs alsa-utils-0.9.0-0.6rc2mdk.i586.rpm

Then create an .asoundrc, etc.

The modules.conf syntax used by Mandrake is somewhat
less verbose than off of the ALSA site, but seems to
work equally well. For this machine with an rme9652,
modules.conf says simply:

alias sound-slot-0 snd-rme9652
above snd-rme9652 snd-pcm-oss

The devfs system takes care of creating snddevices for
you (and this is mentioned in the ALSA installation
instructions). It specifies NOT to run ./snddevices
on devfs enabled systems, like Mandrake.

So, as to how to solve your problem, try to sort out
the old modules from the new, discarding the old if
possible (old are in
/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/sound/ on my system,
with subdirs:

core i2c isa pci synth usb

Kevin