Re: [linux-audio-user] usb audio + mandrake 9.0 foobar :(

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] usb audio + mandrake 9.0 foobar :(
From: Guy Daniel CLOTILDE (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 09:46:20 EET

Hi all

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:06:36 +0000
iriXx <m_AT_irixx.org> wrote / a écrit:

> > Did you do a ./snddevices in the Alsa drivers dir?
(...)
> thanks!!!
> doh!!! that was the bit i forgot, i know i was missing something!!!!
>
> best
> m~
>
> --
> iriXx
> www.iriXx.org

Isn't it a good idea that snddevices should be run by "make install" ?
And that alsactl should load default values for the non-geeks?
And that in the INSTALL file, the option --with-soundcard="xyz" should be clearly pointed, because I was used to compile a bunch of unused cards just to have mine working.

Alsa is years old now, and totally rough for the installation.

I for one doesn't still know if my ymfpci soundcard can play midi, as by default alsa disables this option and the INSTALL file is unclear on the way to succeed.

'scuse me for ranting. I try to contribute to GNU where I can and don't want to be like a whiner.

Cheers all.
Guy CLO~
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/