Re: [linux-audio-user] WARNING: padding up to secsize.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] WARNING: padding up to secsize.
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 10:39:57 EET

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 11:23:40PM -0500, Howard Sanner wrote:
> cdrecord prints out
> this message after each track. I notice that when burning WAV
> files people have sent to me that they've created under other
> operating systems (i.e., not just Windoze), cdrecord doesn't give
> that message.
>
> I'd like to understand what's going on, and if it has any
> ramifications I should be worried about.

Audio tracks have to be an exact number of blocks long. WAV
files can be any length, so the -pad command line switch is used to tell
cdrecord to add zeros to the end of the last block to pad it out to the
correct size. The padding is inaudible since it consists of a fraction of
a second of silence after the end of the track.

I don't know why some systems produce files that don't give you that
message, unless they deliberately add the padding to the end of the file
to make the file length CD-compatible. [speculating wildly] Maybe they do
this because there are other CD burning programs that don't do padding.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444