Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 13:38:09 EET

> Maybe we should only serve loops that fall under
> a usable creative commons license

There are quite a few open audio licences.
Here's one I wrote which permits sharing but prohibits resale:

http://mondodesigno.com/music/pml.html

Might be good for someone who wants to share loops but reserve the right to
sell them. The way I figure it, if anybody is selling music it should be the
original artist.

> Its not interesting to serve loops on which
> the original owner wants to exercise copyright
> on anyway, because then its not exactly an
> open loop library anymore.

One of the pillars of free software licences is that the author retains
copyright - but uses it in a creative way. Copyright gives you the power to
say "I want this loop to remain free". Put it in the public domain and it
could end up part of a proprietary product - and then the creator could be
sued for 'ripping off' their own work.

Cheers

Daniel