Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 15:52:58 EET

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 12:24:16 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> 2) To get around that sort of problem, I'd have to provide you with MD5
> check sums of each and every loop on it's own, but not provide you with
> the loops themselves. Looking at George Pendergast alt.rockdrums as an
> example, the disk has 662 entries. 99.9% of them are audio. I need a
> very automated way to handle this. I have a few loop libraries, so you
> can see the problem. Actually, this IS the problem I originally brought
> up. With 662 drum loops, I can't find the right group of loops to make
> good music!!

Thats a good point, using checksums to spot "illegal" loops wont work,
just converting it to 256kbit ogg and back will change the checksum, and
it it came of an audio sample CD you have no chance.

> 4) When this thing gets popular, and it will, it will use a lot of
> broadband bandwidth. Worra's Place constantly gets maxed out and there
> are days when you can't get through because he's exceeded bandwidth.
> Granted, this is a GOOD problem to have, but plan for it because it will
> happen.

At this point it will require real cash to run it. My website costs around
$400 a year for around 10 Gbytes a month with a reputable ISP. A sample
archive will most likly be a lot heavier.

> FYI - I'd love to see something like this grow for all the Linux soft
> synths. A patch library for Open Source soft synths would be immediately
> helpful too.

I think Dave of SSM fame has started one, but its hosted off one of the
not-so-good mailing list providers IIRC. This would be a good thing to
integrate with a sample archive.

I used to run the Nord Modular patch archive, so I know a bit about this.

The way that worked was that there was a mailing list and whenever someone
posted a patch as an attchment to the list it got archived, and and linked
to the list discussion.

In reverse that might be a really good way of annotating samples and
patches:

When someone uploads a patch it creates a mail to a mailing list and the
discussion cna be linked to the achive entry. You could also allow later,
web based discussion to be added.

- Steve