Re: [linux-audio-user] /etc/init.d/alsasound start doesn't load modules

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] /etc/init.d/alsasound start doesn't load modules
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (eric_AT_zhevny.com)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 04:34:36 EET

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

I did set up my modules.conf as needed in debian:

box1:~$ cat /etc/modutils/alsa
# sound specific modules

alias char-major-116 snd
alias card-0 ymfpci

and ran update-modules which then added those lines to /etc/modules.conf
as expected.

Any other ideas about why alsasound might not be working?

Some notes about the docs below ...

Paul wrote:
> Have you done as the following snippet from the alsa doco
> suggests?
>
> +++ snip ++++++++++++
> Note to debian users: You need to save this information into a file in the
> /etc/modutils/ directory (Eg. /etc/modutils/alsa) and run update-modules
>
> # ALSA portion
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-ymfpci

I think the docs need to be updated to take out the "snd" prefix. Am I
right about that? there's a note to that affect further down on that
page.

Patrick -- If I understand it correctly the interface in the
documentation on www.alsa-project.org seems intended for adding notes
and making comments ... how do we actually make changes? or do we need
to suggest them to you? I'm not criticizing the interface, just asking
how best to help.

> # module options should go here
>
> # OSS/Free portion
> alias char-major-14 soundcore