[linux-audio-user] USB MIDI and Audio

Subject: [linux-audio-user] USB MIDI and Audio
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 00:08:32 EET

I'm pleased to say that the Oxygen 8 now works with my RedHat-based
laptop, after installing the latest stuff from Planet CCRMA. The
only problem is that now my USB Audio interface fails.

ALSA appears to be starting OK:

[root_AT_gimel jzitt]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio [ OK ]
Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio [ OK ]
Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi [ OK ]
Restoring sound driver settings [ OK ]
[root_AT_gimel jzitt]#

But jack hangs:

[root_AT_gimel jzitt]# jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100
jackd 0.41.1
Copyright 2001-2002 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
creating alsa driver ... hw|1024|2|44100|swmon
starting engine
cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.074 msecs

(and there it sits until I do a ^C)

I'm also seeing an error from lsusb for the Audio interface:

Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0582:0006 Roland Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength 18
  bDescriptorType 1
  bcdUSB 1.00
  bDeviceClass 0 Interface
  bDeviceSubClass 0
  bDeviceProtocol 0
  bMaxPacketSize0 8
  idVendor 0x0582 Roland Corp.
  idProduct 0x0006
  bcdDevice 1.10
  iManufacturer 1 Roland
  iProduct 2 UA-30 (44100Hz, Analog REC)
  iSerial 0
  bNumConfigurations 1
cannot get config descriptor 0, Connection timed out (110)
  Language IDs: (length=4)
     0409 English(US)

...though the Oxygen 8 looks OK:

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0763:1015 Midiman
Device Descriptor:
  bLength 18
  bDescriptorType 1
  bDescriptorType 1
  bcdUSB 1.00
  bDeviceClass 0 Interface
  bDeviceSubClass 0
  bDeviceProtocol 0
  bMaxPacketSize0 64
  idVendor 0x0763 Midiman
  idProduct 0x1015
  bcdDevice 1.20
  iManufacturer 0
  iProduct 0
  iSerial 0
  bNumConfigurations 1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 2
    wTotalLength 39
    bNumInterfaces 1
    bConfigurationValue 1
    iConfiguration 0
    bmAttributes 0xa0
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower 0mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength 9
      bDescriptorType 4
      bInterfaceNumber 0
      bAlternateSetting 0
      bNumEndpoints 3
      bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass 0
      bInterfaceProtocol 0
      iInterface 0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength 7
        bDescriptorType 5
        bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes 3
          Transfer Type Interrupt
          Synch Type none
        wMaxPacketSize 32
        bInterval 1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength 7
        bDescriptorType 5
        bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes 2
          Transfer Type Bulk
          Synch Type none
        wMaxPacketSize 32
        bInterval 0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength 7
        bDescriptorType 5
        bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes 2
          Transfer Type Bulk
          Synch Type none
        wMaxPacketSize 32
        bInterval 0
  Language IDs: (length=4)
     0409 English(US)

Does this suggest anything (other than what we could tell from my
earlier posts)?

--
| jzitt_AT_josephzitt.com                      http://www.josephzitt.com/ |
| GPG: A4224EFA                         http://www.mp3.com/josephzitt/ |