RE: [linux-audio-user] 24bit 96khz cards that work well

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] 24bit 96khz cards that work well
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 01:03:40 EET

Anthony,
It could be a huge number of things, but like you I doubt it's just
interrupts. As you say, no card is going to generate more interrupts than it
needs to. Some cards could require a few more interrupts to get the job
done, but I doubt they'll generate that many more interrupts.

More likely is the quality of the DMA controller in the sound chip, and how
well it gets the data across the bus. If a card has to deliver 1024 bytes,
and can do that in one burst of 256 cycles, while another card delivers the
same 1024 bytes in 8 bursts of 128 bytes, the first card will be much more
efficient and better behaved in the system, and probably use less PCI time
doing it.

This is also HEAVILY driven by what the chipset will allow a PCI device to
so, hence my RME and your RME cards, while identical, might give different
performance results because our PC chipsets give it different access to
system resources like memory.

To answer Brian's original question, I don't think Jack yet supports 96K,
but the RME cards do, and they work pretty nicely. Unfortunately they are
not inexpensive...

One thing I hope Brian understand is that not every xrun is caused by the
sound card. Many (IMO most!) xruns are potentially caused by the disk
subsystem. Study that machine carefully Brian!

With best regards,
Mark