Re: [linux-audio-user] 24bit 96khz cards that work well

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] 24bit 96khz cards that work well
From: Anthony (avan_AT_uwm.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 03:52:58 EET

* Brian Redfern <bredfern_AT_calarts.edu> [Dec 30 02 19:35]:
> What I notice is that I have hiccups during recording and playback, at
> first I thought my machine was just too slow for lowlatency, but I was
> wrong. In my case I may do better with usb-audio, since my usb defaults to
> irq 9, which is apparently the ideal irq for usb audio.
>

> Unfortunately I don't know how to excatly quantify the problem, but what
> it would appear to me is there are just conflicts between some video and
> some audio chipsets. Now if I swap out my AGP video card for my old junky
> card and the xruns under jack stop altogether, then I know that the AGP
> Rage is a doo-doo card for video. Interesting that a more high end card
> solved your problem.

Well its going from PCI to AGP that did it i think. Remember also
about the pci device latency timer which controls how long the card
can hog the bus. I think this is usually low by default for
audio. Check with lspci and change with setpci. It didnt help me
either way.

> >From what I've read the whole issue of video/audio problems is not a linux
> specific issue, it also crops up under windows.

Sure. Maybe post you interrupts and lspci output and Mark might use
his expertise in deciphering it ;)

--ant