Re: [linux-audio-user] Best CD Burners for DAE in Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best CD Burners for DAE in Linux
From: Roger Williams (raw_AT_qux.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 03:45:37 EET

> If anyone can offer suggestions in the form of first hand
> experience, or pointers to good sources of info I'd appreciate it.

We use CDR drives professionally for DAE (digital audio extraction)
and writing session discs for clients; and in my experience we've
discovered (sometimes the hard way) that we won't recommend anything
but a Plextor drive. Even Yamaha drives haven't provided the same
reliable, error-free operation.

When it comes to DAE, most readers don't even correctly use error
correction. And few (if any) other drives extract CDDA as quickly as
they do digital data.

I can't offer advice on ATAPI (or USB -- shudder) drives, but I
wouldn't trade our 12/10/32S drives for anything but the new
PlexWriter 40/12/40S...

--
Roger Williams <raw_AT_qux.com>
Qux Tool & Die, Middleborough, Massachusetts