Re: [linux-audio-user] A level meter to test

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A level meter to test
From: Guy Daniel CLOTILDE (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 13:34:30 EET

Hi

I tried it. It's a little bit unstable (the config window sometimes disappears) but useable.
But is there a way or a plan to make it work the same way as vumeter (based on esd). I mean a stand-alone app, simply listening to audio input or output?

I record actually with ecasound, but really miss a nice vu-meter app to see the peaks. Actually, I use a pipe between nrecord (wav record with ncurses vu-meter) and lame (translate the wav in mp3 immediatly). If anyone is interested by the details, email-me. It works very well, but I don't like the ncurses look.
BTW, replacing nrecord with arecord+ameter in my script break the pipe and hang up the sound device. First I can't close the ameter window (with icewm as a wm) and I must do a ctrl+C in the aterm invoking ameter (arecord -D ameter | lame -r -m m something.mp3). I can't launch it a second time, or try a "aplay something.wav", it complains that the snd_pcm_open failed.
Even if I restart alsasound, no way... I have to reboot to make the sound work as usual!

my set:
mdk 8.2 + alsa 0.9rc6

Cheers.
Guy CLO.