[linux-audio-user] Soundless ALSA Newbie

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Soundless ALSA Newbie
From: Sakari Aaltonen (sakari_AT_aplac.hut.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 17:26:40 EET

I have been trying to get ALSA (0.9.0rc5) working with an on-board
ALC650 chip, ALSA because that is what the chip's manufacturer,
Realtek, offers on their website. (I assume that this means
that the sound code in kernel 2.4.20 won't work with the chip.)

I compiled everything and made 'insmod' with 'snd' and 'snd-via82xx',
with no error messages that I could see (a lot of other modules
were loaded automatically.) I also ran the make-dev's script.
Yet, no sound.

So I looked at Sound-HOWTO's. They stress the importance of seeing
kernel messages about sound. Well, I don't see any.

Then, because ALSA apparently mutes everything by default, I
tried compiling two mixers from the ALSA site. No success,
because I was missing some libraries. Also, I was pretty
confused about what version of ALSA they were supposed to work
with.

Of course, I can start looking for those libraries, but while
I do that, could some kind soul please explain how I can find
out whether my actual sound setup is likely to work at all?

Or would anyone know of a mixer program that would not need
libraries that I will not have?

If it matters - my sound sources are DVD and TV...

Thank you,
Sakari Aaltonen