Re: [linux-audio-user] quick ardour question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] quick ardour question
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 07:01:43 EET

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Jonathan Turner wrote:
> just a quick question (hopefully). In ardour I've been able to get a track to
> playback while recording another track, but I can't seem to play more than
> two tracks at a time, nor am I able to play two tracks while recording
> another. Is this a ALSA/soundcard limitation (I have the intel 8x0 series)?

You probably have hardware monitoring enabled. When it is you will only
get the incoming signal of a recording track being output on that
channel.
To get the behavior you want, disable hardware monitoring in the
Edit/Options... dialog. You will then experience latency while
monitoring, but you should be able to hear everything. The latency is
dependent on the jackd '-p' frames-per-period size.

> Okay, I lied, one more quick question... I've had ardour not play back samples
> when recording and I can't seem to put my finger one what causes it to mute
> the sample playback and what allows it to do duplex.

This is probably related to what I described above.

As for stability, it is still day-by-day. There are more stable versions
in the past, but there are significant missing features. It is all pretty
bleeding edge right now but worth trying out. It is very difficult to
lose data even though it might crash.

jlc