[linux-audio-user] via82cxxx_audio

Subject: [linux-audio-user] via82cxxx_audio
From: Sakari Aaltonen (sakari_AT_aplac.hut.fi)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 14:23:42 EET

With help from a few kind people here, I got my ALSA sound working
with xine. However, this was at 8 bits of color depth, and the
video picture was not too good. So I tried 16 bits, which made xine
fail, as it did MPlayer. But at 24 bits, MPlayer came to life and
showed a picture that was (probably) as good as it gets.

But... MPlayer doesn't like ALSA sound. It tries to keep video and
audio in sync for 10 or 15 seconds; then it gives up and goes silent.
It says my system is too slow; one of the reasons might be slow
audio.

So I thought I'd try the via82cxxx_audio module that is in the
"official" 2.4.20 kernel.

But... I can't insmod the module. It complains

/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o: insmod /lib/modules/
2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o: insmod via82cxxx_audio failed

(No, neither syslog nor dmesf offers more information.)

Am I missing a /dev? Which one?

Thank you,
Sakari Aaltonen