Re: [linux-audio-user] signal processing kits

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] signal processing kits
From: Fabio de Matos (fabio.matos_AT_terra.com.br)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 03:29:43 EET

> > Have you look at Octave?
> >
> > I think it can be expanded with c(++) modules.
>
> That is correct.
>
> It is a relativelu trivial matter to write C++ code which uses the
> Octave C++ matrix and array libraries (basically everything that is
> written in C++) to write extensions, much like the MEX files Matlab
> uses. The extensions have a .oct extension.
>
> Many of Octave's standard functions are written like this so you can
> grab one of these as a starting point.

        Sounds good enough! Can it be used in real time ? Could i use it to
enhance LADSPA?

> I'd use Python ( www.python.org ). It has many scientific 3rd party
> expansions, can be extended with C/C++ and can
> be operated from a command line.

        I'm not afraid of learning new languages anymore, but surely i don't
have the time either... it takes a while to master it.

> Haven't tried it, but ecasound has
> a Python interface, maybe you could use
> that to get audio plugins working?

        In fact i wanna make it as generic as i can. My main purpose is
voice recognition, and my secondary target is generic signal processing,
not necessarily coming from soundcards. So i should need my own
customized program.

        Cheers,

        Fabio de Matos