Re: [linux-audio-user] VST plugins and linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] VST plugins and linux
From: Linium (intent_AT_club-internet.fr)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 00:15:35 EET

Le Mardi 14 Janvier 2003 19:59, Kevin Bowen a écrit :

> I had trouble getting vstserver to compile on my RH8 system... now that
> I've been pointed to RPM's, I'll try those... I'm curious though what you
> mean when you say
> that vstserver requires some code from the VST SDK... do you mean this code
> is *in* vstserver (it's my understanding that this wouldn't be allowed by
> steinberg's license)... or do you need it in a library somewhere in order
> to get vstserver to compile? Perhaps this would explain the issues I had
> with it (although there was no mention of any such dependency in the
> install readme).

It needs some include files from the VST SDK. I had a hard time to find the
sdk on the steinberg site. You need to register, i remember, of something
like that. Then you copy some files to your vstserver directory.

You have all the info about the VSTSDK in the INSTALL text file of vstserver.
(it is step2).

But to be fair, vstserver is a little hard to compile, mainly because it wont
find the wine tools and headers. Not terrible but it will stop a newbie.

> And opening up a whole 'nother can o worms - how about directX plugins? I
> saw them mentioned in the readme for vstserver as a possible future
> feature... but there are several existing directX->VST wrappers available
> (which I've used successfully on windows)... has anyone tried running a
> wrapper inside a wrapper to get directX->VST->LADSPA? With wine able to

Not yet, i have one at hand (vstadapter) but i cannot make me think that it
will work :)

Linium