Re: MIDI multiple same-pitch notes / Re: [linux-audio-user] VST plugins and linux

Subject: Re: MIDI multiple same-pitch notes / Re: [linux-audio-user] VST plugins and linux
From: Larry Troxler (lt_AT_westnet.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 06:39:32 EET

Mark Knecht wrote:

> > Steve Harris wrote:
> > > XAP doesn't ignore MIDI, its totaly midi compatible (for input), but it
> > > can do things that MIDI can't (eg. playing overlapping notes at the same
> > > pitch).
> > >

> > MIDI can't play overlapping notes at the same pitch?
>
> ;-) OK, I'll chime in. None of this is directed at you! Truly.
>
> MIDI doesn't play notes. MIDI synths play notes. All MIDI does is send
> instructions to a device. The device then implements what it wants as a
> response.

<snip stuff supporting this view>

Yup. That's what I thought - that it's entirely up to the MIDI device to
decide what to do with overlapping notes on the same key number.

If this is indeed the case (and like you, I certainly don't remember
anything in the MIDI spec pertaining to this), then it would fit with
the general principle that apart from some general guidelines, the MIDI
spec generally leaves it up to the instrument to determine how a
specific message is to be interpreted.

Larry Troxler