Re: [linux-audio-user] Which audio card to use?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Which audio card to use?
From: Jack O'Quin (joq@io.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 22:33:11 EET

Christian Schoenebeck <christian.schoenebeck@epost.de> writes:
> I also downloaded the latest Envy24control (alsa-tools-0.9.0rc6), but it's
> not working for me - at least not with ALSA 0.9rc6. The VU meters work, but
> changing a slider or mute button for example does not have any effect.

I compiled envy24control from a recent CVS version. It works and is
easily compiled all by itself. Just go to alsa-tools/envy24control
and run ./cvscompile (IIRC).

> And another problem is the default clock rate of 48kHz. Setting the master
> clock to a value doesn't work. Clicking at 'Word Clock' decreases it, but to
> a widely too low value - sounds like 32kHz or something...

This is a (serious) bug in the alsa-0.9.0rc6 ice1712 driver. There is
a fix in CVS, but I'm not using that yet because of the inconvenience
of upgrading the drivers.

As a workaround, I use envy24control (compiled as above). Under
"Hardware Settings" first set the "Master Clock" rate to "S/PDIF In".
Then, set it to "Int 44100". For some reason, the rc6 driver won't
let you set "Int 44100" directly without using this trick.

> So I guess I have to wait for the next Alsa release and a new Debian package,
> cause compiling from CVS is too dirty for me.

Try a newer version of envy24control. It's easy to do, and I think
you'll be please with the result.

Regards,

--
  Jack O'Quin