Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Subject: Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 16:18:59 EET

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:20:34 +0000, Mike Rawes wrote:
> > > Module wiring: The biggest improvement is to implement sub-patches
> > > [yes, I know there are plans for this in SSM :] - that way you can
> > > hide a lot of detail in a single module.
> >
> > That depends on your building style. I hardly ever use sub patches, my
> > patches have too much interrealtion.
>
> True. But then you can just not use the sub-patches! They do have their
> uses - another good one is DX-style FM - building a single operator uses
> about half a dozen modules. Being able to wrap this into a single module
> called 'DX Operator' has a certain appeal. I suppose it depends on how
> you work. It might be easier to just write a DX Op LADSPA plugin!

I was disputing your statememt that its the biggest improvement. I think
the biggest impriovement is combining the patching and parameter control
UIs. OTOH an FM synth built from first principles is a good example,
though most modular synths would/should have a single module to do that.

> > I /really/ dont like a seperation of wiring and controls, that breaks
> > my mental context.
>
> Good point. Perhaps the option of hiding the wiring for performance
> would be a good compromise. Taking the Nord as an example - the GUI
> shows both wiring and modules for ease of setting up. Once you're done,
> you just have the unit, with whatever controls you have set up (no
> wiring visible).

More importantly you can hide only the "logic" wires, or only the "CV"
wires. Wires joining two logic ports will be tagged as logic (yellow) by
default, but theres nothing special about them and you can recolour them
at will.

- Steve