Re: [linux-audio-user] i'm a graphic designer - use me! ;-)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] i'm a graphic designer - use me! ;-)
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 07:58:18 EET

On/le Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:58:13 +0000
iriXx <m@irixx.org> wrote / a écrit quelque chose comme:

> im first and foremost a composer - second job is graphic design -
> and i've often wondered at the sort of interfaces im given that
> seem to have been designed by non-musicians... not that theres
> anything wrong with that, but it makes it more difficult for a
> musician to work with....

Yeah. And it seems that there is two strong different point of view about the subject.
I won't talk about my feelings about linux audio apps in terms of user-friendliness.
It's hard to code (it's an art :) and I respect the great works of others.
So I wholy agree with you that an appealing UI is necessary.

How can an artist be positively creative when what is in front of him hurts his taste?
Giving choice and same performance, an artist will choose the prettiest between two instruments.
I for one like to look at my keyboards sometimes. A real piano can give me inspiration just looking at the wood and ivory.
It can be impossible to reach this kind of beauty through computers pixels, but that's not a reason not to try.
People can find inspiration too in front of concrete walls or looking at /dev/urandom (the Matrix is a piece of art, not trolling).
Anyway my point is choice is a good thing .
And as usual, an app should provide first a command-line interface, but it should have a code-link to an ui that is skinnable to the users heart's content.

iriXx, I'm very glad that you started this thread.
And there is yet a positive result as volunteers stand up to help build ui components. I' d like to say that I want to help too (a little bit in graphics, html or translation).

Choice is good.
cheers all.

Guy CLO~
#ICQ 37736372