Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 06:48:14 EET

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 20:19, Austin Acton wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm a major contributor and volunteer at Mandrake, and I've been working
> to get Mandrake up-to-date and more complete with regard to audio
> applications, so I thought this would be a good place to come for
> advice. If you have a few minutes, please answer any of the following
> questions you can. Doing so will help make Mandrake 9.1 the best audio
> distribution on the planet...
>
> 1. If Mandrake 9.0 is your primary distribution for audio, what is your
> #1 complaint?

It is not my distro.

> 2. If Mandrake 9.0 is not your primary distribution for audio, why not?
> What is missing or what has turned you away?

Just never tried it. Started with Redhat. Still there, if not a bit
frustrated at times. ;-)

> 3. What audio applications are we missing (please check current list
> provided below, as many new apps have been added since 9.0)?

Ardour
qjackconnect
kaconnect (is this your aconnectgui?)
amSynth
Swami
SpiralSynthModular
rtSynth
freqtweak

> 4. What thee audio applications do you consider the most
> valuable/important? (do not include alsa, jack, mixers, or ogg/mp3
> players/encoders)

Ok, well Jack _IS_ the most important, since it's what makes it all
work, but for me it's Ardour & Rosegarden, and then a whole host of
emerging soft synths that support Jack

> Thanks very much. I appreciate your time, and please let me know
> personally if there is anything else I can do to make Mandrake more
> audio-friendly.

If there is a good site on building Audio apps from CVS for Mandrake,
then I'd like to read that. I'm not a software guy and am looking for a
distribution with targeted info of this type.

Thank you!