RE: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht@controlnet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 17:07:02 EET

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-audio-user-admin@music.columbia.edu
[mailto:linux-audio-user-admin@music.columbia.edu]On Behalf Of Austin
Acton
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 6:38 AM
To: linux-audio-user@music.columbia.edu

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 23:48, Mark Knecht wrote:
> If there is a good site on building Audio apps from CVS for Mandrake,
> then I'd like to read that. I'm not a software guy and am looking for a
> distribution with targeted info of this type.

Hmm, not sure what you mean here.

If you want a tutorial on using cvs and building apps from source,
you're not going to get that from Mandrake, as we are a binary-based
distro. (although we provide urpmi and srpms so you can recompile any
rpm for your architecture with a single command).

<SNIP>

OK, first, please member that not all of us are software people. I design
integrated circuits for a living and do music as a hobby. I have absolutely
less than zero interest in building RPMs or doing anything of the sort. I
have also NEVER used Mandrake, so I cannot speak specifically about anything
in that distribution.

Now, given that, what I meant was that a specific Mandrake distro might ship
Rosegarden, for instance, but it's always an older version than where the
developers are currently at. Given that it's out of date, there are times
when I need to build from source. How do I do that on Mandrake with a
minimum of pain?

With Redhat I've had problems because they've change where stuff goes.
(Prefix == /usr) I had to find these things out the hard ware. That's not
fun and certainly not musical.

Beyond that, figuring out dependencies is a mess in Redhat. Probably is for
all distributions. But it's the main reason I use PlanetCCRMA instead of
doing it all by hand. Any solution to that problem?

Has anyone within the Mandrake inner circle considered what it's really like
for normal people to use this stuff, and then done anything to make it
easier than Redhat? I'd probably build a Mandrake machine today if the
consensus was that this problem was solved!

Thanks,
Mark