Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey
From: Alexandre Prokoudine (avp@altlinux.ru)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 20:15:35 EET

On 28 Jan 2003 23:19:40 -0500
Austin Acton <aacton@YorkU.CA> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm a major contributor and volunteer at Mandrake, and I've been working
> to get Mandrake up-to-date and more complete with regard to audio
> applications, so I thought this would be a good place to come for
> advice. If you have a few minutes, please answer any of the following
> questions you can. Doing so will help make Mandrake 9.1 the best audio
> distribution on the planet...
>
> 1. If Mandrake 9.0 is your primary distribution for audio, what is your
> #1 complaint?
>
> 2. If Mandrake 9.0 is not your primary distribution for audio, why not?
> What is missing or what has turned you away?

I'm not a Mandrake user. I'm happy with our package repository,
though I think that Mandrake does a wonderful job!

> 3. What audio applications are we missing (please check current list
> provided below, as many new apps have been added since 9.0)?

Some are already mentioned, so the others will be:

KGuitar (http://kguitar.sourceforge.net
Notedit (http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html)
Denemo (http://denemo.sourceforge.net/)
Ecamegapedal (http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecamegapedal/)
athenaCL (http://www.flexatone.com/athena.html)
zynaddsubfx (http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net)

> 4. What thee audio applications do you consider the most
> valuable/important? (do not include alsa, jack, mixers, or ogg/mp3
> players/encoders)

Audacity
Sweep
Rosegarden-4
amSynth

Besides, I would notice that a kernel capability to run jack enabled
software not as root should be hopefully included as well.

> Thanks very much. I appreciate your time, and please let me know
> personally if there is anything else I can do to make Mandrake more
> audio-friendly.

Please, don't repeat AGNULA beta's mistake - no obsolete packages,
if you can.

Let Pixel be with you ;)

--
Alexandre Prokoudine