Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun@pp.htv.fi)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 17:01:33 EET

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:12:06 -0000
"tim@glastonburymusic" <tim@glastonburymusic.org.uk> wrote:

> ahem, I'm running a VERY low src system that I cobbled together out of bits.
> The combination of supermount bug and unwieldy kernel caused me to turn off
> my computer for a week feeling very sad and send off for debian (woody).

Sometimes just turning it off is the only option. My main reason for turning off computer usually relates to the noise it produces. Ofcourse headphones are a great help.

> I mention this only because everybody goes on about how good mandrake is for
> newbies (and debian isn't). I have not found this to be the case.

They say that about the installing part mostly, I guess.

> It's true that I am now struggling with trying to get my external midi port
> to work, but getting the initial system to do something recognisable was far
> easier with debian.

I had also to struggle to get midi working in the first place. I have a PnP soundcard, so I had to enable the gameport with isapnp-tools to get it working. Also a rat-bitten midi-cable gave me some headaches. ;)

> Just thought I'd mention it.
> woody ships with Rosegarden2.1, I am glad to discover it's not anything like
> the latest version, I was beginning to wonder ...
> Methinks I will be using the next few hours to install Rosegarden4 :~]

You can try:

$ cat /dev/midi

(or something like that) to quickly test if midi-in is working. There should be some characters on the screen corresponding to midi-activity.

janne