Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI - hapless Newbie Q -

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI - hapless Newbie Q -
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor@speakeasy.net)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 16:11:16 EET

On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 21:13, tim@glastonburymusic wrote:

> I'm having trouble with what should be a trivial soundcard config.
> Tech Spec: Debian-3.0/Linux-2.2.20 running on a P133 with 48mB RAM
> Soundcard: Bluepoint/OPTi82C930 with MAD16 Driver
> Problem: communicating with external MIDI device (Roland D10)
> [No ALSA] using OSS
> basic internal functionality for samples & MIDI is OK

http://www.alsa-project.org/ 'Tho, if you add these lines to

deb ftp://ftp.unix-ag.org/pub/mirrors/demudi woody demudi
deb ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/demudi woody demudi
deb ftp://ftp.agnula.org/demudi woody demudi
deb http://http.demudi.org woody demudi
deb http://http.demudi.org/debian woody local main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.demudi.org/debian woody local main contrib non-free

/etc/apt/sources.list ...then type dselect in an xterm, tell it to use
ftp as an access method, hit U for update when you close out of the access
window, wait for the listings to download and then hit S to select packages
...once in there... type / ...enter alsa {or demudi}, hit enter... then hit
\ to repeat the search {until you find the demudi alsa stuff}... dselect
will do the setup for you {:} Don't get carried away picking out software
...you will hate yourself for it.} In windowmaker a "setup soundcard" entry
pops up in the root menus under admin or somesuch. {Sorry... I'm not root
at the moment.} You can probably just select your card and hit enter through
the setup. {No... I don't promise. {I do think it will try to install the
Demudi kernel} :}}}

http://jackit.sourceforge.net/ {see above}

> Basically every time I try to load the mpu401 driver I get told "Device or
> Resource busy". I've tried using modprobe, modconf and sndconfig, same thing
> every time. CDrom audio is also disabled, and I have errors on loading unix
> socket drivers (which I don't entirely understand). I've tried every
> available I/O & irq combination that doesn't cause conflicts. It is entirely
> possible that I'm just using the wrong syntax of course:~)
> lsmod lists pcmcia_core, unix, lockd, sunrpc, af_packet, mad16, ad1848,
> uart401, sound, soundlow, soundcore & joystick modules. I'm not sure if
> there's anything obviously missing or conflicting.

modconf {unless that's a laptop {even if it is a laptop}}

> Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.
> I guess you'll understand when I say that a functioning soundcard is as
> important as video. Music will hopefully be one of the prime uses of my
> setup & I'm very interested in stuff like Python OSS, tse3 & stk4 & others
> which run happily on my box already. Csound looks interesting too, but I may
> need to improve my hardware

 I've run debian on several {read 6 or 8} systems. Several of them have
been very weird. It usually autodetects about everything {Or I make
consistently lucky guesses in the module config bit in setup.} Why so
many problems?

 Have you tried running stuff from the console rather than in x? You
really could use some more memory.

--
Rick Taylor <ricktaylor@speakeasy.net>
The Dispossessed