[linux-audio-user] not enough bass, guitar effects, distortion, amp simulation

Subject: [linux-audio-user] not enough bass, guitar effects, distortion, amp simulation
From: Raoul Bönisch (jkl345@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 23:45:18 EET

* Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk> [2003-02-08 21:16]:
> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 10:26:24 -0600, Jan Evil Twin Depner wrote:
> > I don't use these real-time but you might try:
> >

> > http://quitte.de/dsp/preamp.html
>
> See also the other things at http://quitte.de/dsp/

Thanks for the hint, these plugins are great. I converted
fx_processor's distortion into a ladspa-plugin. The sound is
similar. Actually I'm looking for a distortion with some more
bass. And a bit more aggressive to play heavy metal. I tried some
equalizer setups and am very close to what I am searching for.

A nice combination is preamp with a "static" alienwah, like this:

ecasound -d:16 -i:/dev/dsp -o:/dev/dsp -erc:2,1 -ea:300 \
        -el:preamp,10 -el:alienwah_stereo,0,5,0.3,20

With "static" I mean the frequency set to zero (first parameter
to alienwah).

A -el:unmatched at the end of the line sucks away all the bass
again. This is why I dropped it, though I get a scratching sound
without it.

I tried equalizers. Ecasound's eq_template had no effect or muted
the sound which is strange. I couldn't boost the bass enough for
my taste with ladspa-plugin mbeq.

> You can get some good results by combining these with other plugins, but
> that has not been documented. I guess it should be.

Yes. Perhaps I can get what I want with this.

With most of those ladspa plugins my problem is that I don't really
have an idea of which parameters I should start off with.
Examples would probably be very helpful, but as I experience
myself it is not the nicest job to write docs. :)

> If you search the mialing list you will find the experiments Tim and I did
> with ecasound chains of plugins.

I tried hard but failed. On
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/archive.php3 phrases like
"pn:", "el:", etc. don't give me any matches.

> - Steve

        ra